• Pin It
  • Children Ages

    2 years to Adult

Friendship Firehouse Museum

The Friendship Fire Company was established in 1774, and was the first volunteer fire company in Alexandria. The current firehouse was built in 1855, remodeled in 1871 and renovated in 1992. The Engine Room on the first floor houses hand-drawn fire engines, leather water buckets, axes, sections of early rubber hose and other historic fire-fighting equipment. An exhibition discusses the development of fire-fighting technology and other fire companies that have served the citizens of Alexandria.

The second floor Meeting Room is furnished the way it was during the late 19th century, the real heyday of Friendship as a community organization. On view here are various ceremonial objects such as parade uniforms, capes, banners and other regalia. George Washington's association with the Friendship Fire Company, honored by members for over 200 years, is symbolized by several images of him throughout the museum.

Comments (0)

Be the first to add a comment